Post Your Job
Company: Great African Food Product (GAFCo)
Expiry Date: 25.Jul.2017
Arusha Mjini Arusha
POSITION: OIL SEED PRODUCTION MANAGER (sunflower and safflower oils) 1 Post
HQ- ARUSHA, 30%-50% travel to farms
• Overall responsible for coordinating with internal GAFCo stakeholders including sales, operations, processing & logistics, and third-party oil extraction partners to ensure quality and timely delivery of client orders for sunflower and safflower oils.
• Drive planning & quality control initiatives with internal stakeholders based on client orders, including:
a. Mapping client orders to out-grower production plan;
b. Timely ordering of stock seed for import;
c. Verify stock seed import processes and documentation;
d. Allocation of stock seed to out-grower locations;
e. Verifying proper germination testing & seed dressing;
f. Monitoring Planting Campaigns and Growing Activities in Farm force to ensure adherence to crop protocols, field traceability and yield forecasting.
g. Monitor third parties who provide oil extraction, storage and delivery services for quality, effectiveness (% oil) and timeliness;
h. Verify proper planning of export documentation and transport;
i. Provide Sales with accurate oil forecasts and export delivery information to inform clients.
• Customize Farm force artifacts to deliver maximum business benefits for sunflower and safflower production to include:
a. Growing activity types;
b. Input types;
c. Crop protocol templates;
d. Reports (e.g., yield, traceability);
e. Farmer surveys;
f. Standard farmer SMS notifications;
g. Planting Campaigns
• To provide farmers access to affordable high quality sunflower hybrid seed, manage internal activities for the AMDT Hybrid Sunflower Seed Certification and Registration Program for six varieties.
a. Work with Ilonga Agricultural Research Institute, Tanzania Official Seed Certification Institute (TOSCI), and partner seed companies (e.g., Agroservice) in carrying out variety performance tests know as National Performance Trial (NPT) including national variety performance trials, DUS tests, and pre and post control tests in accordance with the Seed Law 2003 and Seed Regulations 2007.
b. Submit all applications to TOSCI for DUS test and NPT testing.
c. Develop guiding documentation for the program to include:
? Seed Certification and Registration Program Plan.
? Field Trial MOU between GAFCo, Agroservice and Ilonga Research Institute.
? Field Trial Plan for six seed varieties.
d. Serve as the liaison to coordinate activities with seed companies participating in the seed certification and registration process; including establishing GAFCo as an official seed distributor of the registered seed varieties.
• Confidence and good leadership skills
• Good understanding of cultural diversities within East African (Tanzania) context
• Desire to work with small holders farmers and the ability to explain farming concepts in clear terms as critical points to poverty alleviation for the wellbeing of the children
• Knowledge of cover crops and plant rotations appropriate to East African soils and climates
• Skills and knowledge in commercial planning and production of oilseeds.
• Good Agronomic Practices (GAP) and Global Gap as required by European markets.
• Superb planning, analytical, project management, numerical skills and problems-solving ability;
• Good communication( verbal and written) and interpersonal relationship, administration and IT skills and comfortable working in a team and using own initiative;
Endeavour to achieve highest standards of work and the ability to organise and manage own workload;
Knowledge of health and safety regulations and procedures and flexibility and a willingness to work in a busy and varied and harsh environment;
Management skills and business awareness and hands-on, practical and realistic approach to work.
Educational & Professional Qualifications:
• BSc Agronomy from an accredited University with MSc. in Agronomy, Agribusiness or Agriculture General will be an added advantage
• Experience in coordinating with the Tanzania Official Seed Certification Institute (TOSCI), National Seed Committee, and other affiliated organizations in seed certification and registration process.
• Ability to carrying out variety performance tests know as National Performance Trial (NPT) including national variety performance trials, DUS tests, and pre and post control tests in accordance with the Seed Law 2003 and Seed Regulations 2007
Minimally 5-7 years of prior experience in smallholder sunflower production and seed certification and registration programs in Tanzania
Mode of Application:Send in an application including: Cover letter in English, copies of Relevant Certificates and latest CV/Resume including three referees one of them being the current or last employer.
Send email application or drop off physically the application packet at our address – Burka Estates, Plot 175/786/3 Dodoma Road, After Arusha Coffee Lodge.
Please if you do not meet the requirements do not apply.
Looking for a Job?
THE LATEST NEWSView All
Subscribe to our Newsletter