Post Your Job
Company: Ifakara Health Institute
Expiry Date: 10.Dec.2017
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa, with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
The Institute is looking for a suitably qualified individual to take the position of Scientific Programs Officer.
The Scientific Programs Officer will support all scientific functions in the Research Division, including planning, reviewing, documenting and reporting on IHI scientific initiatives. He/she will coordinate linkages between IHI’s scientific and training departments. The officer will provide detailed documentation for all scientific meetings, and provide summary reports for review by the Director of Science.
Other key functions will include working with the Grants and Contracts team to provide periodic reviews of all IHI grants. He/she will also coordinate and ensure timely review of all internal grants, including the Director’s Research and Innovation Fund (DRIF). It is expected that these roles will support strategic decision-making and high-level program planning, management and monitoring within the Research Division.
The Scientific Programs Officer will report to the Director of Science.
The Scientific Programs Officer will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
• Assist the Director of Science in planning and implementing strategic objectives and operational plans.
• Manage the internal processes for application and implementation of IHI’s bridge funding schemes including the Director’s Research and Innovation Fund. This will include processing all applications for review, coordinating the review program (to be done by selected scientists) and monitor implementation of these projects.
• Advise IHI’s internal grant recipients on various aspects relevant to execution of their projects.
• Work closely with the Grants and Contracts team to engage actively with IHI scientists, project leaders and administrators in ensuring that the milestones are achieved and deliverables are submitted. This may include conducting site visits, conference calls and interviews to facilitate opportunities for improvement.
• Coordinate IHI’s quarterly grant writing boot camps for scientists & students.
• Conduct special scientific assignments including fact-finding missions, and special scientific reviews of selected projects on behalf of the research division; especially where important data is required on short notice.
• Participate in all major scientific meetings internally, record the proceedings and provide written summaries to the Research Division.
• Coordinate the development of quarterly scientific reports from the Research Division; and ensure effective communication of the same with all scientists.
• Assist the Grants and Contracts office in reviewing and advising on renewals and/or extensions of existing contractual agreements between IHI and its partners.
• Work closely with the Grants and Contracts Officer to provide support for and ensure compliance by project leaders to the contractual agreements, relevant to scientific quality, milestones and deliverables.
• Participate in budgeting for all functions and activities of the Research Division.
• Maintain summary records of project scientific performance and outputs.
• Perform any other related duties as assigned by the Director of Science.
Candidates should have an advanced graduate degree in health or allied sciences. PhD, MDs or MSc holders will be considered. Candidates with Bachelor’s degrees and relevant experience may also be considered if they demonstrate the essential skills and proficiencies outlined above.
Experience in working with donor funded projects, in a research, policy or health related program. It will be desirable to have previous experience in grant writing and leading teams, and writing scientific grant reports, as well as finance and administration.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, team work.
• Excellent supervisory, budgetary and collaborative skills.
Remuneration and Mode of Employment
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to a successful candidate as per IHI salary scales. The contract will initially be for one year, renewable, with a three month probation period.
Mode of Application
All candidates meeting the above job requirements should send their application letters with detailed curriculum vitae (CV) showing email, telephone number, and photocopies of academic and professional certificates to the address below. All email application subjects must read ‘SCIENTIFIC PROGRAMS OFFICER’
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Apply for this job
Send applications to:
Chief Human Resources Officer,
Ifakara Health Institute,
Kiko Avenue, Mikocheni,
P. o. Box 78373,
Dar es Salaam.
The deadline for this application is December 10, 2017.
All candidates meeting the above job requirements should send their application letters with detailed curriculum vitae (CV) showing email, telephone number, and photocopies of academic and professional certificates to the address below. All email application subjects must read ‘SCIENTIFIC PROGRAMS OFFICER
REGISTER YOUR DOMAIN NOW
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTSTangazo Kwa Umma
LOOKING FOR A JOB?
THE LATEST NEWSAndroid P will prevent apps from quietly hijacking your camera
Subscribe to our Newsletter